Post-SDCC wrap-up: Scalped

The other bit of me-related news that came out of San Diego Comic Con was that SCALPED is ending with issue #60. Still feels weird to see it finally spelled out so definitely, but this has actually been the plan for quite a while now. This was my choice. We were not canceled or forced into an ending. The series will be ending just the way I've always imagined it ending. There are a couple of smaller stories I always thought I might get to which I ultimately won't, but those were set aside in the interest of giving the series as solid a finish as possible. There won't be any more stand-alone issues. Instead we'll have two final big arcs to bring everything home, with Guera drawing every issue. Expect a death or two and hopefully at least a couple of surprises. And expect everyone to get the ending they've got coming to them, good or bad. In many ways, the entire story of SCALPED will ultimately be about what happens in these last ten issues. Thanks again to everybody who's stuck with us this long. And I promise you, we're all doing our best not to let you down.

And know that the ending of SCALPED will not be the end of me doing creator-owned work. Not by a long shot. The wheels are already turning in regards to my next creator-owned book. And Guera and I are already talking about our next project as well. So as always, stay tuned.

14 comments :

giantsizegeek at: 6:09 PM said...

This is bittersweet news--Scalped is one of the best ongoing comics series and has been high on my list for years. Glad that it will be ending as you envisioned, but will be sad not to read it monthly when it is gone. I did have a feeling over the past few issues that you were gaining momentum toward a conclusion. Can't wait to see what finally happens to Dash and Chief Red Bull.

Dr. Benjamin Anthony at: 7:16 PM said...

i wish i had some smart and insightful comment. i don't. scalped has been keeping me going in pretty dark shit times. thanks for the ride man.

Leandro at: 8:32 PM said...

Scalped is the best thing that happened to comics in the last few years. You, Jeff Lemire and Brian Wood, as far as I'm concerned, have capped the Vertigo line interesting. I make Bernard Crowsheet's words mine and extend my congratulations for the ride.

Linus at: 11:10 PM said...

Sad to hear it, but excited to see the end.

Between this, DMZ, and Northlanders all ending, wonder if Vertigo is kind of done for...?

H for Hombre at: 10:01 AM said...

Congratulations. I am eager to read the conclusion to this series. If in the coming years you choose to revisit the series I will be more than happy to come back. Well Done.

S.H.I.E.L.D boy at: 2:22 PM said...

Cannot wait to hear some news about your next projects after Scalped.
Any chances to see you working with Igor Kordey again?

Anonymous at: 10:40 PM said...

Scalped has been my favorite ongoing comics since it came out, and it's easily one of my favorite series of all time (just behind Gaiman's The Sandman). While I'm really sad that the series is coming to an end, I'm gratified that it will be ending on your terms, and, given your track record, I'm sure that it will be amazing.

Looking forward to your next collaboration with Guera!

Dd at: 8:02 PM said...

Mr. Aaron, do you know any REAL NATIVES? Apart from the usual blond-haired, blue-eyed, know-it-all claiming to be 1/64th Cherokee?

CARLOS P. at: 7:45 AM said...

I am a Spanish fan of the series, and I have the fortune to meet in person Guera who lives in my city, Barcelona. And I want to congratulate you on your great work with Scalped and I hope you return to work together again, you do a great creative team.

Jack Baur at: 1:49 PM said...

CANNOT WAIT to see what you've got in store! Thanks for a great ride!

Anonymous at: 7:08 AM said...

for the love of god will someone please release this series in hardcover!?? GEEZ!!!

Benjamin Martin at: 1:57 AM said...

Good to see a man who finishes his business,on that note-hope you enjoyed writing these comics.

Spongg (Frank Plein) at: 3:35 AM said...

Bittersweet news indeed. I'm currently writing a book about storytelling in comics, and I keep referring to SCALPED as one of the most ambitous and tight storytelling ever in comics. I used to rant about how tv series were ultimately better storytelling, simply because dozens of people are involved as opposed to one-two, but SCALPED proved me wrong. It's on par with THE SHIELD et al. Amazing work.

SuiGeneris at: 1:28 PM said...

I'm really sad to see Scalped come to an end. I am Native American (enrolled - not Cherokee) and grew up on a reservation - - - although Scalped is fiction, it touches on very real issues that have occurred on reservations. I was impressed w/how well you and Guera were able to capture moments of Native people. So thank you.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive